2011 was not a great year to start with. Early January a large shadow appeared on a chest xray which was eventually, after numerous scans & biopsies diagnosed as lung cancer which led to major surgery in Southampton removing 2 lobes of my right lung. I am very fortunate in that they were able to remove all the tumour & have not had to follow up surgery with radiotherapy or chemotherapy & am pleased to say that all has gone well. May I also take this opportunity to thank you all for your best wishes & prayers of support which were very much appreciated during this difficult time :) Now back to quilting!
Knowing how boring hospital stays can be, I prepped a whole load of patches to take with me should I feel the need to stitch, and thus began the start of a thimble quilt, inspired by this amazing red one by Ingrid at Supergoof and this beauty created by Katrien of Scrappatch . For this one I have taken all the repros I have collected over the last few years & added them with shirtings & lights to make up this scrappy top.
This was a great little hand piecing project to work on whilst convalescing post op & I decided to make 12 & 12 blocks to join together in rows.
Of course Lucy kept me company whilst stitching & had to try out the patchwork for comfort!Another project which was great to work on whilst on the road to recovery was the Imperial Blooms BOM by Sue Spargo. I had decided to join this one as I loved the design & had for while wanted to have a go at wool applique..........another technique now ticked off the list!
I am really enjoying working on this. As well as the wool applique I'm also brushing up on my rusty embroidery skills. Currently working on block no 7 which is nearly done, then just 2 more to go before attacking the borders.
Well last Sept/Oct I decided it was time to tackle this quilt designed in the Kaffe workshops I was lucky enough to attend. So here we have a tada moment with a top quilted, bound & studied by my 4 legged quilt inspector!
Boy, does she manage to get into every shot somehow!
This blue diamond quilt was intended for my bed but isn't quite wide enough & with winter on it's way the colours felt too cold, so inspired by a quilt on the cover of Kaffe's book Caravan of Quilts & one that Cathy of Cabbage Quilts was making, I decided to also use the EPP (English paper piecing) method to make my own in warm reds, purple and gold using Kaffe Fassett & Philip Jacob fabrics.
As each round was completed I laid it out on the floor to choose the next round of fabrics to use & once again, it had to be checked for comfort by Lucy!
Finally, by Christmas Eve, this top was completed, not bad going for EPP started mid October! Unfortunately it is still just a top which I hope to have quilted & bound ready for my bed next winter.
So, all in all, being absent from blogger has given me more sewing time & as you can see I have not been completely idle during my time off :)
More to follow.........