Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Step into my garden ..........

........and sit down to do a little stitching

It's quite a small garden, approximately 5.5 metres square & surrounded by a high wall which creates a micro-climate allowing me to grow some topical plants in this temperate zone.

As you can see I collect plants, especially ones that flower

The California lilac (Ceanothus thyrsiflorus) is now in bloom & smells heavenly when you're sitting next to it, this variety is 'Skylark', a deeper blue & flowers a little later than other varieties.

3 days ago the jasmine was just in bud

.......and is now starting to bloom. This plant is just outside the lounge door & smells divine as it wafts into the living room in the evening.


This year my hardy orchid (Bletilla) has decided to flower again, it is a ground orchid which lives in my semi shady border & dies back in the winter, to re-emerge each spring.

Growing amongst the Cape leadwort (Plumbago auriculata) are the 3 new additions to my hexie flower garden. This plant produces the most beautiful sky blue flowers during the summer, here's a little sneak peek from last year as it is a little early yet.


Well I hope you've enjoyed the little tour of some of my plants, as others decide to come out of hiding, I'll introduce you to them one by one.Happy gardening & stitching of course!

14 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi Gisele,
Thank you for inviting me into your garden. I can almost smell the flowers. Love your hexies mingled in. I have bought some fabric this week to try some fussy cutting hexies. Don't think I will get too many though but for a first attempt it will be ok. Thanks for the kind comment on my selvedge quilt. Have now added a label and it really is complete.
Shirley.x

Cathi said...

Your garden is beautiful!! It must be wonderful to sit out there on a summer's day and stitch a hexagon flower or two!

yvonne said...

Jou tuin is prachtig !!!!

groetjes yvonne

Karen said...

Such a beautiful garden Gisele!

Don't forget to add your link to the current weeks Sign In sheet so other members know you have posted. You can find it at the top of my blog.

Theresa said...

Your garden is beautiful - hope you're getting plenty of sunshine in it :) The fussy cutting on your hexies is fantastic, very effective, I like your fabrics very much.

Caroline Moore said...

love the garden tour - it must be inspirational. Lovely to see the sunshine too. I see you have been busy with your quilt making and making some beautiful pieces. Hope all is well with you. xx

Oops-Lah said...

Oh I love your garden. That's something I'm missing here in Singapore. Although it's very green, but not much is blooming. Your hexagons look terrific by the way! I'm doing something very similar. Cheers

Oops-Lah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice words. Regarding the JC blocks; I am also doing it on a whole cloth, but I'm making it a bit smaller though (5 by 6 circles, instead of 7 by 7 circles). I've got two rows together and so far it's going OK. Of course there's more fabric to hold while sewing, but I still prefer it that way. I do hope it will work out. BTW, I bought the extra wide fabric, so I don't have a seam anywhere. Cheers Vreni

Marieke said...

Beautiful flowers: the real ones and the fabric ones!

Valentina said...

This is so incredibly wonderful. I brought some Klosjes along! :)
Your plants are gorgeous and I can totally imagine myself having a wonderful time with you in your garden-- someday soon! Lovely hexies!
xox
Valentina

Sandra Henderson said...

Oh how magical! :)
you make the lovliest hexie flowers! I can't believe all of your pretty plants and this patio is so wonderful. I'd be dining outside all the time ! :) Thanks for entering my contest! Good luck!

(P.S.
Haven't forgotten about you pay it forward gift!~ I'm getting there....)

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Just lovely! Thank you for the pictures!
love from the desert..

merumo said...

Ohhh, I love your hexie flowers in such a beautiful rich colors! And the fussy cut ones are also very pretty.

Sammy said...

Hi,
I just love your blog, and your garden's potshot is really divine. I would love to invite you to visit my blog, and I hope you will like as much as I love your garden.

Love,


-Samya ;-)