Thursday, January 31, 2013

Busy January!


For the New FO challenge this month hosted by Barbara at Cat Patches,  we have EASY STREET, the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt
The 3 blocks that went a bit haywire have now been corrected & we have a completed top! I'm still debating whether to add borders or not and & thinking I may hand quilt this one.
Bottom row missing - not enough room to get the whole top in the photo
I really got into the swing of piecing by machine with easy street that I just carried on when I came across this Swoonalong & before long.........

Parts 1 & 2
became......

........a completed top!
 (I was too impatient to wait for the rest of the instructions)

Last weekend it was basted & quilted(very simply)

Lucy helped with the binding!

Ta Dah ....finished. 

I used Kaffe Fassett scraps in reds & yellows but not having any modern neutrals I went with shirtings, marrying the old with the new. I was initially worried that you shouldn't really mix the 2 styles, but then thought why not? and am now pleased with the result, i think it works out ok, what do you think?

This month I also managed to finish the big stitch quilting on my Hot Wheel quilt and bind it, so that is another WIP completed.

This one now stays on my bed as my winter quilt & is super cosy!


 ......and finally, I thought it was about time I cracked on with the Sue Spargo Imperial Blooms BOM, before I get stuck into this year's Bird Dance lined up as a New FO for February.
 The first pack arrived this month & I'm itching to get started 
Block 7 done
Block 8 in progress
Oh...and I nearly forgot, I also added another 2 rows to the Japanese boxes EPP top.

So, to recap, January has been a very productive month, foul weather has helped as well as staying away from the laptop, the latter for which I hope you will accept my apologies for not having visited your blogs or responding to messages promptly.......I promise to do better next month :)
Keep on stitching........

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That Swoonalong is absolutely stunning in the reds & yellows! Beautiful job! Everything is so pretty. :-)

Oops-Lah said...

I should take a leaf out of your book and stay away from the computer for a while. Amazing what you were able to achieve in just one short month. And everything so beautiful! I especially love your Sue Spargo blocks. One day I want to do one of her BOM too!! Happy February, can't wait to see what wonders you come up this month;).

Sandy Panagos said...

That Swoonalong is great!!

Barbara said...

What beautiful fabrics you've chosen!

Liz said...

Those are some absolutely stunning quilts! The first block in particular looks really intimidating--was it hard?

Shirley said...

You have been busy Gisele, I had a day where I was a woman possessed and sewed all day. I got such a lot out of it but wish I could keep up the pace. You are right though staying away from the computer helps.Great projects you are working on.

Sandra Henderson said...

I came over to catch up and WOW!~ You sure have a lot FINISHED!~ I love your projects!~ Easy Street is one of the neatest ones I've ever seen. Love your fabric choices. Swoon is very nice. Yes, you are so right about the computer... I so agree.
Keep up the great work!~ I love seeing your photos.
XO

Nancy said...

Your Swoon quilt is gorgeous. I didn't realize the one block was the whole quilt until I saw it on the bed. Fabulous! Your little Lucy is adorable. She looks very cuddle-able, though I know cats sometimes aren't, even though they look like the would be. And I love the flower in #7. I think it takes a lot of patience to applique.

Hopeful Homemaker said...

Thanks so much for telling me about your Scrappy Swoon quilt! I love it! What beautiful fabrics you used... you are right, they came together perfectly. All of your projects are lovely. Well done!