Thursday, August 11, 2016

Slow stitching - EPP progress & some Applique

I always have many EPP  projects on the go, that way I can switch between them usually on a fortnightly basis & never get bored of stitching the same thing. Here are some I'm currently focusing on.....
Back in August 2016 I started making some EPP Glitter blocks having drafted my own templates a little larger than those from Jen Kingwell's book Quilt Lovely
This is another great pattern for mixing up the fabric scraps

Where I'm at so far....
Then in October last year, inspired by some amazing vintage hexagon mosaic quilts, especially those of  Albert Small I decided to design my own mosaic. I started colouring in like mad & came up with this for a starting off point
Then the stitching began....
another round was added...
& another section
This is where I'm at today, the main centre pattern is nearly complete. I'm using 3/4" hexagons for this quilt

Next up we have EPP triangles. I had a quite a few redundant triangles cut for a border of another quilt which just didn't work out as I had planned.

One day I came across Linda Collins' Panama Pyramids FB group, (as you do) & finally found a use for these pieces & just had to join in!
These are so easy & quick to make up
Some more sets prepped & ready to stitch.
This is another great scrap project, I'm sticking to using Kaffe Fassett Collective prints & shot cottons for these

Finally, last week, inspired mainly by my love of blue & white china and images of Kaffe Fassett's collection as well as his fabulous mosaics, this design was born
Fabric mosaics using up even smaller scraps, each piece hand appliqued
Embellishing the ginger jar with some simple back stitch embroidery to give it a bit more dimension
A little contrast hand quilting added
This will be bound with the same darker blue spot fabric to add balance to the piece. I
already have more ideas developing on this this space!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Another finish

This English paper pieced top of 1.5"hexagons was finally completed back in January last year & sat there waiting for quilting ideas.

so last month I decided to have a go at some simple zig zag quilting on my Singer 1929 treadle machine....
which wasn't always easy as extra weight had been added to the quilt layers!
Finally it was complete
Pattern is "Hex on the Beach" by Tula Pink oringinally sold as a kit of 1" hexagons from her Saltwater range of fabrics from 2013. So I had to take it down to the beach for a photo shoot!
The back

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Shirt Stripe Boxes - we have a finish!

Back in 2012 I started making blocks for Kaffe Fassett's Shirt Stripe Boxes quilt from his book Passionate Patchwork, using recycled shirt fabric. You can see the original blog post here
Gradually over the next few years a few more blocks were made here & there as the mood struck until eventually at last in 2014 all the blocks were finally done
Then they just sat there,with the backing fabric squares also cut out all ready waiting to be quilted.  I planned to construct this using the Quilt As You Go method with some plain royal blue sashing
Then last month they were pulled out again, simply quilted with straight lines on my trusty Singer treadle & all assembled into a completed & quilted top
This last weekend the binding was attached & I made the most of a beautiful day in the garden to finish hand stitching the binding down & ta dah......we have a completed quilt, finally!

So pleased to cross another WIP/UFO off the ever increasing list! 

Friday, May 13, 2016

Little Quilt swap

This year I finally participated in Lori's of Humble Quilts blog,  Little Quilt swap  I've been meaning to join in previous years but had always missed the sign up deadline :(

So here is the lovely little quilt I received from Christy, all the way from the USA, isn't it adorable?Thank you Christy & also a big thanks to Lori for organizing this great swap :)

 You can view all the gorgeous little quilts made & swapped at Lori's linky party here

.....and here is the small quilt I made & sent off to Mary

 Whilst I had all the repro scraps out & was in the mood, I also knocked out a few more small quilt tops, some of them just to use up little orphan blocks I had lying around.

Just need to crack on & get these hand quilted next!

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Circle progress

Well...... I have fallen way behind in making may daily circles as too many other projects are distracting me.
I'm still trying to avoid as little waste as possible by using the circle cut outs to make more circle blocks as in the next 2 below
 So to date I have 86 units/blocks or if you count the number of individual circles appliqued 138.............I think I'll stick with the latter number, it certainly sounds better :)
I'm also joining the blocks as I go & here they are all together so far, this isn't the final layout as it looks a bit messy, still needs a bit of tweaking as more blocks are added.
Whilst on the subject of circles, here's my 1st attempt at a Georgetown circle block by EPP. This is going to be the centre of a medallion quilt one day, when I get round to it!
Do go & visit Audrey's 365 circle link up, lots of lovely circles being stitched, grab a cuppa & enjoy all the lovely projects being shared